Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Cookies for our neighbors.

We thought it would be nice to take cookie plates to our neighbors for Christmas. Christmas came faster than the cookies, so we figured it's fine if we take them out a few days after Christmas. No pressure.
I made the meltaways (the pink cookies) on Christmas night, made the dough for the gingerbread the next night, bought the cookie cutters and rolled them out the following night, and the next day (before and during Boy's nap time) I iced the gingerbread people and meltaways. While waiting to make cornflake marshmallow wreaths with Dave (it wouldn't be "Christmas" for Dave without them), many meltaways (the pink cookies) melted into my mouth and gingerbread families met their fateful end in my belly. Three days later the wreath treats came to be. We plated the sweets - but it was late, bedtime, so no neighbor delivery. We filled our cooler with the cookie plates. The next day, I was sick, Malcolm was sick, no delivery. The following day, still feeling groggy, big snow storm, no delivery. Today, the sun is out, we are feeling MUCH better, they just might get delivered tonight! "Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, glad we're neighbors, hope you don't mind old cookies."

By the way, the meltaways and gingerbread cookies are my aunt Merja's recipe. They are my favorite. It wouldn't be "Christmas" for me without them. Since we were away from the fam this year - I made them myself for the 1st time. Some tastes are celebrations in and of themselves.

2 Comments:

Blogger H.Cook said...

I'm going to have to look up recipes for those meltaways... you make them look and sound delicious (not that I need ANY more sweets in my current diet).

12:30 PM  
Blogger Natalie Sue said...

Wow, you have some lucky neighbors!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home