Monday, October 22, 2007

Happy Sweetest Day!

On our drive to the pumpkin patch we were so confused by signs announcing "Sweetest Day baskets for sale!" or "Sweetest Day roses!" in parking lots. Thanks Wikipedia for setting us straight. I did make chocolate chip cookies yesterday, so I guess we celebrated in our own little way. Next year we will be better prepared. Who knew this region has it's own holiday for sweets and all our sweeties? Not a bad idea. I love sweets and I love my sweeties, but let's not get out of hand. I do not want a basket.

Sweetest Day
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sweetest Day is an observance celebrated primarily in the Great Lakes region and parts of the Northeast United States on the third Saturday in October[1]. It is described by Retail Confectioners International, as "much more important for candymakers in some regions than in others (Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo being the biggest Sweetest Day cities)" and an "occasion which offers all of us an opportunity to remember not only the sick, aged and orphaned, but also friends, relatives and associates whose helpfulness and kindness we have enjoyed."[2] Sweetest Day has also been referred to as a "concocted promotion"[3] created by the candy industry solely to increase sales of candy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Loraine Edwards said...

I like the sound of that day

3:29 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

I'm going to keep that one in mind. I definitely celebrate a "sweetest day" of my own on a weekly basis. Maybe a real day for it would force me to cut back. Maybe not.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Jen I said...

Ha ha. "...solely to increase the sales of candy." Yeah, exactly. But yes, I love sweets. How sad it doesn't seem to be in this region of the great lakes!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home